After a three month tour in Bosnia, Adam was set to be discharged from the Army in August of 2000. His plans were to return home to Alabama. I just couldn't even bear the thought of not being with him, so I made a life-changing decision to follow him to the Deep South. I had never been more excited in my life. I was young, ready for change and had no intentions to ever move back to Colorado. The morning I left, I had my little blue Geo Prizm packed to the brim with all of my possessions. I remember hugging my Dad goodbye and feeling the sadness in his arms. Only now after having a child of my own do I know what he must have been feeling. My mom flew out there the next day to set me up in a little one-bedroom apartment and to help me register for classes at UAB. Wow, I was all growed-up and living on my own. I got a job at Michael's working back stockroom 5am-1pm. That was fun. When I got tired of that I started working at this ritzy outdoor mall, The Summit at Illuminations. I would come home smelling like candles - that was the only good part. My brief experiences in retail make me all the more thankful that I love my current job. Adam had a full-time job painting for his friend's dad. When we picked my apartment location, we didn't realize it was 25 minutes from Adam's parent's house. So, between that, my job, Adam's job and school, there wasn't much time for socializing and I was starting to feel pretty lonely. Homesick. Needless to say, I was back in Colorado by May of the following year. I'm glad for the experience though. I still am in love with the South; the landscape, the people, the way-of-life. You'd have to visit there to know what I'm talking about. Adam had just started a job at UPS, so he stayed through the summer before moving back. At that time we knew we were going to get married so there were no hesitations when it came to following me back. :)
My rule, or rather, my parents' rule was that I had to finish school before getting married. At this point, I was so far behind from transferring schools and losing credits, I talked my parents into letting me take classes at the Community College to get my Associates degree in Management and then on to Cosmetology school to become a hairstylist. Cosmetology school was so much fun. I went to Antoine du Chez Academy in Cherry Creek and got so much more hands-on experience there than I would've anywhere else. By the time I left, I was doing on average, 3-5 highlights/colors per day and not so many old lady perms and roller sets. YUCK.
Adam couldn't get in with UPS, so he applied at Sherwin-Williams to be a full-timer. Good move, five years later, he is a Sales Rep, driving a company car and making a decent salary with many promises for promotion. All this with no college education. Just goes to show what a little hard work and dedication can do. Sorry, but I'm proud of him. :)
On June 26, 2004, I married my best friend. We chose an apartment in Fort Collins and lived there for our entire first year as newlyweds. We bought our first place three years ago and we are still here. Mostly due to the housing market, but we are content. If we have another baby though, we will have to seriously consider moving. Somewhere closer to Denver preferably.
After a year of trying and one miscarriage, our firstborn arrived 5 weeks early in July of 2007. What a precious gift from God she is! I think we could probably have 1 or 2 more of her, God-willing. Parenthood is wonderful, I highly recommend it!
Well now, I think we are all up to date. I have to go marinate my chicken for supper!
Instant Pot Christmas Roast
8 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment